lunedì 7 gennaio 2008

HOME FOODS - FERMENTED NUT CHEESE


This is a pretty freaky field I discovered in the book by Renee Loux Underkoffer, "Living Cuisine". Basically the Maui-based chef makes something similar to cheese by letting re-hydrated seeds ferment with non-pasteurized miso and then mixing this with different herbs and shredded vegetables. It just did not work. I was quite puzzled, until I realized that the 85 degrees temperature needed by fermentation was quite a bit more than the 18 degrees of my kitchen!
Now I am trying on the lowest temperature inside the oven...
In the meantime, my first batch of red cabbage sauerkraut has been officially launched. After some cross-checks I decided to opt for the ceramic bowl plus plate option. I am taking some risks, since the two don't fit tightly. But after some reading, the worse that can happen is that I will have to discard the layer closest to the top.
Why I am using the ceramic bowl has to do with the fact that I wasn't able to find fermenting crocks in Brussels. The organic stall-holders from the market pointed me to the Polish immigrants in Brussels. After all, isn't Poland one of the homes of pickled cabbage? Well, it's the home of industrially made sauerkraut. All the Polish shops I visited sold the stuff but both the owners and customers could not believe that when I said I wanted to make "sauerkraut", I actually meant making the sauer kraut myself, from scratch.
It was not even easy to look for these recipients on the net because at first I did not even know under what name I should look for them. Now, after some research, I can point all those interested to the cheapest German fermenting crock supplier.

Nessun commento: